User Rating: 0 / 5

Star InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar InactiveStar Inactive
 

Lanana Creek Trail

Lanana Creek Trail

Description: The brainchild of Dr. F.E. “Ab” Abernethy – locally-renowned professor, folklorist, musician, and raconteur – the Lanana Creek Trail in Nacogdoches was launched in 1986 during the Texas Sesquicentennial.  The trail begins south of Main Street at the youth soccer fields alongside the creek and makes its way north to the trailhead at Liberty Hall on Main Street.  From there, it passes by a spring known as The Eyes of Padre Margil, where legend tells us Father Margil’s 1718 miracle brought water to thirsting people.  Also along the way are the Oak Grove Cemetery, where Thomas J. Rusk and other early Texans are buried, the beautiful creek bottom woods of Pecan Acres Park, the Stephen F. Austin State University Arboretum, and Tucker Woods behind the Pineywoods Native Plant Center.  The trail reconnects with Lanana Creek in open woodlands before it ends its five-mile adventure at NE Stallings Drive (Loop 224). 

Location:  Public parking is available at several access points.
Map:  Click Here